The Israel Defense Forces might be extremely social media-savvy - arguably disturbingly so - but it is asking citizens to stop posting about Hamas rocket attacks on sites like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
In a press briefing late last week, Israel warned that any social updates embedded with location information or geotagging could aid Hamas?s efforts. Instagram photos of successful strikes and even geotagged tweets and Facebook updates by Israeli citizens could help Hamas home in on Israeli targets. Since the militant group employs relatively crude rocket technology by most standards, aggregated public geo-data could offer a precision otherwise afforded only by more sophisticated equipment - or inadvertently crowdsourced.
Israeli citizens have been documenting the escalating conflict between Israel and Palestinian militants on the popular social sites, often with attached images. The IDF called for the social media blackout just a day before longer-range rocket strikes reached Jerusalem for the first time.
Following the Arab Spring uprisings, social sites have increasingly provided a platform for citizen journalism, instantly transmitting unfiltered images of violence to the world at large. Israel's call for a social media hush shares little in common with 2011's popular revolts in the Middle East, but there's certainly an uneasy balance between protecting sensitive military information and flat-out censorship. In Egypt and Libya, the ruling authority's desperate attempts to muffle the tweets and status updates only made the global community more engaged in those unfolding revolutions.
Both Israel and Hamas have leveraged sites like Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to promote their respective political agendas in recent weeks. The sophistication and breadth of these militarized social campaigns has extended the conflict beyond rocket strikes and border zone scuffles into, bizarrely enough, a branding war. This is truly war 2.0 - and we?re watching it unfold in real time.
Ex-BBC Radio 1 presenter says 'this is nothing to do with kids' following arrest and bailing on suspicion of sexual offences
Dave Lee Travis has denied any wrongdoing after his arrest and bailing on suspicion of sexual offences on Thursday.
Speaking at his home near Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, the former Radio 1 DJ and Top of the Pops presenter issued a "complete denial" and added: "This is nothing to do with kids."
Travis's statement came shortly after it was confirmed that he has been dropped from his Magic AM radio show with immediate effect.
Travis was released on police bail late on Thursday after being arrested on suspicion of sexual offences. He was the fourth person to be held by Metropolitan police detectives from Operation Yewtree, the investigation into sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile and others.
He said he did not want his name associated with "bloody evil" child abuse.
He said: "This is nothing to do with kids, all right? That's the first thing. Because that to me is the most important thing in the world and I do not wish to have my name sullied around something that bloody evil, to be honest.
"The second thing I want is to say, yes, there's a complete denial there but there's nothing else I can tell you because otherwise I might be stepping on the police's feet and I don't want to do that because it might affect their investigations."
Later on Friday Travis spoke again to journalists outside his home as he sought to address the media coverage that surrounded his arrest and answered a few brief questions.
"There's one very important point I want to get across here ? when I read the papers this morning I could not believe it. It was like, you know, 'DLT caught in Savile probe' and all this," he said.
"I'm going to make one thing extremely clear to you ? the Savile probe is nothing to do with things I've been talking to the police about. I was accused, quote, of 'squeezing the boobs' of a couple of women. One, you know is Vivien Creegor and the other was somebody from 19 ? God knows ? 67 or something, which is incredible."
He added: "I am and always have been completely abhorred by anything to do with children and anything to do with child molestation and anything like that.
"I don't really want to be in a headline where people look and see Savile's name and see my name and think: 'Oh God, is he at it as well?' Not true, all right? You have a categorical denial about children. That is absolutely set in concrete, I promise you."
Travis had fronted a weekend radio show on the station in the north of England since 2006. Magic AM owner Bauer Media said the allegations relating to the DJ's arrest pre-date his time as a freelance presenter with the station.
Bauer Media said in a statement: "While we can make no judgment on the matters under investigation, we believe it would be inappropriate for him to broadcast until they are resolved. There will be no further comment or statements."
The BBC responded swiftly to the arrest by pulling a Top of the Pops repeat from 1977, hosted by Travis, from its BBC4 schedule on Thursday night.
Scotland Yard said Travis's arrest fell under the strand of the Operation Yewtree investigation termed "others" ? that is, not relating to Savile.
Other former media personalities arrested under Operation Yewtree are former pop star Gary Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, the comedian Freddie Starr, and the former BBC producer Wilfred De'Ath.
Travis was a regular fixture on Radio 1 from its launch in 1967 until 1993, when he resigned from his weekend morning show on air saying he did not agree with changes at the station. He was a regular Top of the Pops presenter in the 1970s and 1980s, when the show was at its peak, and fronted various Radio 1 weekday and weekend shows.
The Metropolitan police has about 30 officers and civilian staff working on its Operation Yewtree investigation, which is in the process of contacting all of the victims that have sought to make allegations in the past six weeks.
South Yorkshire force refers itself to the IPCC after claims of fabricated and co-ordinated evidence
South Yorkshire police are to be investigated for possible assault, perjury, perverting the course of justice and misconduct in a public office over the infamous "battle of Orgreave" during the 1984-85 miners' strike.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it had received a referral from South Yorkshire police itself, relating both to what happened at the Orgreave coking plant, near Rotherham, on 18 June 1984, and a year later when 95 miners prosecuted for alleged riot and lawful assembly were all acquitted.
Television footage and photographs at Orgreave showed miners being beaten with truncheons by police, some in riot gear and some on horses, who claimed they were attacked first by the miners picketing the plant.
South Yorkshire police decided miners arrested at Orgreave for public order offences such as throwing stones would be prosecuted for riot or unlawful assembly, which carried a potential life sentence.
All were acquitted on 17 July 1985 when the prosecution withdrew after the police's oral and written evidence in court had been discredited.
Each prosecution was supported by two police officers making near-identical statements.
One admitted in court that sections of his statement had been dictated by a plainclothes officer at the police's temporary headquarters on the day. One officer's signature was analysed and found not to have been in his handwriting.
Michael Mansfield QC, who represented three acquitted miners, described South Yorkshire police's evidence then as "the biggest frame-up ever."
In April, the Guardian revealed the connection between Orgreave and the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, also policed by the South Yorkshire force.
After the report of the Hillsborough Independent Panel in September, the IPCC and director of public prosecutions are investigating South Yorkshire police for possible misconduct over Hillsborough.
Last month, the BBC's Inside Out programme revealed further detail of the extent to which dozens of officers' statements after Orgreave contained identical passages, to build a description of rioting by the miners.
In a statement on Friday, the police complaints body said: "The IPCC received a referral from South Yorkshire police on Wednesday 14 November relating to incidents at Orgreave between May 1984 and June 1985 during the miners' strike.
"This referral contains allegations of assault, perjury, perverting the course of justice and misconduct in a public office. The IPCC must now assess the information contained within this referral to determine how the matter should be dealt with."
South Yorkshire police confirmed: "Following media reports about the handling of proceedings during the miners' strike of 1985-85 and specifically after incidents at Orgreave, South Yorkshire police voluntarily referred matters to the IPCC."
Chris Kitchen, the general-secretary of the National Union of Mineworkers, who was at Orgreave as a 17-year-old on strike, said feelings remain "very strong and raw" about the police's conduct during the strike. "We believe that miners were led into a trap at Orgreave that day; men were clearly assaulted," he said.